Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Where has the time gone?


I think winter break was a tease. I can't seem to get motivated this week, my second week back in classes. Not only that, but finding the time to blog has been impossible.

Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but what the heck! I thought as soon as I started this blog I would have instant success! I'd obviously have a ton to write about, an increasing number of readers each day, and be on the top of everyone's "to-read" list.

Yeah right, Emily.


I need to accept that this blog will be a work-in-progress. Just because I set a goal of blogging three times a week, doesn't mean it will happen instantly. However, if I don't do something "perfectly," as soon as I begin ... I instantly see it as failure.

I think it's important for me to accept the fact that I am a college student, work about twenty-five hours a week, and like to go to bed at 8pm. Time definitely isn't something I'm familiar with having.

So how can I make more time in a day? In a week? I need suggestions! I'm open to anything!

Also, since I'm a big fan of "positive thinking" - something I think my friends and family are sick of hearing me say, I'm going to reflect on these past two weeks (since the New Year started) to see what I have achieved.

  • I "purchased" my own car! I say "purchased" because I haven't actually paid anything yet - but I will! My dad co-signed a loan for me, so come February 9th, I will be making my first car payment. Meet Penelope. A lovely little 2009 Ford Focus.
 Photo Credit: Emily Clark

  •  I've effectively been active 5 out of 7 days of each week, but no yoga yet. Luckily, one of my best friends just got a job at Breathe Yoga in Pittsford, so she'll get my butt in yoga gear!
  • Yesterday one of my best friends, Sarah, who I haven't seen in a while came over. Sarah and I have been close friends sine 9th grade and she is the one person I don't have to talk to every single day in order to feel like we're still friends. We got to catch up on our lives and it was so good to see her. I had set a goal of catching up with an old friend each month and while I don't consider Sarah to be an "old friend," she was someone I had really wanted to catch up with. I hope to be seeing her more often in the future.     

Photo Credit: Jessica Clark
Sarah and I before our high school graduation, circa June 2010.


                                                                      
How do you feel if you don't meet a goal soon after setting it - are you hard on yourself too? How do you avoid feeling like you've failed?

... Just a small cry for help!

1 comment:

  1. Don't be hard on yourself, blogs are a lot of work! Most people have the misconception that you just sit down and type and voila! you have a blog! But just like anything else, it takes time and effort to make them work.

    Schedule time to blog in order to get it done. Write it in your planner just like you would for a shift at work or class. It's the kind of thing that is easy to "do later" but then "later" comes around and you don't have the time or energy so it never gets done.

    If it makes sense to you, you can always scale down your goal too. There's nothing wrong with starting out with one post a week if that's all you can make time for!

    xo

    ReplyDelete