Friday, January 18, 2013

My Very First ...

Happy Friday :)

So today, an article I wrote for my E-Journalism class ... got published! While most of the class may end up getting published too, I'm still looking at it as a "big deal."

Why? Why not! Too often we overlook events that are actually freaking awesome. It's only when the moments have passed that we look back and identify how kick-butt they were. Why not try to really enjoy them as they happen?

I'm convinced that "living in the moment," is the greatest feeling you can achieve. I'm not particularly good at it yet, but when I am ... it's heaven.


When an editor from the City Newspaper (where the article is featured) came into our class at the beginning of the quarter, we were asked to pitch story ideas to him. I didn't realize it at the time (surprise, surprise) but he had quite the impact on me.

When I went to pitch my story idea, I started by saying, "I'm not sure if this a good idea but do you think it'd be interesting to write about whether or not RIT students choose to stay in Rochester after graduating?"

He instantly replied with, "Now why don't you think that's a good idea? I think it's a great idea! You need to be confident." He continued to lecture that you should never start a story pitch with "I don't know if ... ," or "This might not be a good idea but ..."

If I had taken that feedback in the moment, perhaps I would have gotten published earlier. Instead, I'm just looking back on his words now.

If that's not a life lesson, I don't know what it is. The article I got published, wasn't one I was particularly excited about. I didn't think it was fan-freaking-tastic, but then again, I never think my work is. Zero confidence.

However, from now on even if something is less than stellar in my eyes, I want to own it. It's time to start being confident.

Thank you Eric, for the advice.

So with that,  I'm celebrating my very first publication today! I'm also feeling rather inspired.

Sometimes all we need is a little recognition and realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment