Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Day of Revelations

Well it's been awhile ...

I wish I could think of something witty to say to explain why the heck I've been MIA in the blogging world for over a month, but I really don't have an excuse. While it'd be easy for me to sit here and list off all of the reasons why I'm pretty much the worst blogger EVER, I'm going to give myself a break.

Today I had a few revelations.

Revelation #1:

It has been my goal since I started this blog, to find a clear focus for the content I post. I wasn't sure if I should try and tackle the fashion scene, learn how to eat like a rabbit, or train to become the next Ghandi. Today, my focus became clear. I'm going to be dramatic, but it truly was an AH-HA! moment. Tease: I'm not sharing what the focus is just yet, because I'm honestly terrified. However, I promise to stick with my idea and share it by Monday. Gah, that was scary to promise. Huge shout-out to Lexi of The Wunder Year. I've been reading her blog every morning as I sip my coffee and prepare for the day. I'm mega inspired by her and she's helped me realize something I should have admitted to myself a long time ago. More on that later.

Revelation #2:

I want to start wearing bright colors. Like, all the time. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Rochester, New York - but this is the time of year that always seems to drag on. Why? Because it's so effing dreary. It's rare that the sun comes out, grey seems to be the only color that the sky knows how to produce, and everyone is consequently moody. As I've been lazily procrastinatining blogging, and yes that's what I've been doing, I came to the conclusion that I'm bored! I dont mean this to sound whiney, because I have so many wonderful things going on in my life to be excited about and thankful for. However, I need to create some kind of mood-uplifiting-change for myself. I think wearing bright colors is a) going to perk up my spirit b) perk up those around me c) potentially make spring come faster or at the very best make it FEEL like it.
Im thinking something along the lines of these on a daily basis.

Revelation #3:

This one is kind of silly, but things are going to start getting real personal here, so I'll share. I recently got my hair chopped and am not happy with the length. Normally I would let it go, find a way to make it work, and let it grow out. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I do think there's something wrong with being afarid to say,"Sorry Ms. Hairdesser, I don't like what you've done with my hair." Therefore, I have a new appointment in two weeks and I refuse to leave until I'm satsified. I knew as soon as she finished the haircut that I didn't like it, but I have a hard time speaking up.

Revelation #4:

I want to start keeping track of the big and little things that happen to me each day -  that really MAKE my day. This week I've been paying special attention to the moments that make me smile and brigten my mood. Why not keep track of them? Of course, I'll be keeping track of them here - to share with you and encourage you to do the same. I have a theory that taking a minute, even a second, to recognize the "moments" that make us smile may be the beginning of the equation to happiness. Documentening these moments can only help in researching my little theory. I guess I'm now also trying to decide how happiness really works. Perhaps there is an actual "key" to it.

So after a successful Winter Quarter at RIT, a wonderul Spring Break in Minnesota visiting my boyfriend, and a kick-butt first week of Spring Quarter ... I think I'm back! By Monday, I will have this whole "content" focus thingy nailed down and I'll be sharing something uber personal with you.

Now ... for today's "moment":

While walking down the quarter mile, the one path that connects all of RIT, I passed a friend that I haven't seen in quite some time. We briefly said "hello!" "how are you?" and talked about how good it was to finally run into one another. Before heading our separate ways my friend said, "You look very bright today!" SCORE!







No comments:

Post a Comment