Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day Two

Last night my two favorite little girls (that I often babysit) slept over. Since I had to work this morning and then have plans for the rest of the day, I was anxious that I wouldn't be able to fit in a work out.

Great, I thought ... failing already.

Yet would it really have been worth it to miss out on the fun time we had screaming, "Girls rule, boys drool" at my dad all night?

Definitely not.

So I told myself to take a deep breath, make a plan, and calm the eff down. Worst comes to worst I could do jumping jacks before getting ready for work and I'd still be able to break a sweat.

Normally, I'd try to convince myself that simply doing jumping jacks wasn't good enough. However if I'm going to be successful with this challenge for the whole month, I have to accept things for what they are - something I've never been particularly good at.

Who cares if I jumping jacks end up being my work out for the day? At least I did something, at least I broke a sweat and at least I stay committed to my challenge. And who did I do it all for? Myself.

I think that's the best part of this - there's no actual requirements, so I only have to please myself - which in theory shouldn't be too difficult to do, but proved to be a struggle on day one. I'm glad I'm making this realization now.

I woke up bright and early this morning, 7am to be exact, to two little girls laughing that my foot was in their face. That moment was the best to wake up to, a work out probably wouldn't have compared.

And guess what?

Everything worked out. I was able to go for a run with Jess, which I also wouldn't have traded. It was a beautiful example of relaxing and letting things happen as they should. I'm also still telling myself it would have been okay if I could only squeeze out some jumping jacks instead.

Because something is better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment